Bulletproof coffee is all the rage. Fat is back. Eat bacon like a glutton. Make it rain with pots of liquid, golden, REAL butter.
Anyways. Bulletproof coffee typically includes some combination of the following:
- 8 oz high quality coffee
- Coconut oil or MCT oil
- Blend it all up, and you’ve got a very rich and creamy coffee that is very calorically dense, and can, depending on your diet of choice, keep you sated and full for hours.
I tend to make mine taste un-freaking-believable though. Don’t get me wrong, the coffee above isn’t bad, but mine blows it out of the scalding hot water.
Here is how I prep my twist on bulletproof coffee.
You will need:
- ~30g of chocolate whey protein (preferrably grass fed). Lucky’s Market (you local louisvillians) has some very good chocolate whey protein, and so does BlueBonnet on Amazon. However, the bluebonnet only needs 1 scoop (28 mornings of coffee per tub), rather than 2 of the lucky’s brand.
- Obviously, if you have a brand you prefer, or a high-quality chocolate whey protein you already swear by, just use that! Pea, hemp, whatever. You do you, just make sure it’s around 25-30g.
- The protein adds leaps and bounds of fullness and satiety to this recipe. It staves off hunger for hours, and only adds about 100-120kcal to the drink.
- 1 tsp cinnamon (aids in decreasing the glycemic response of the protein you use, and makes it taste fabulous).
- 2 tbsp (or more if you’re all about high fat diets; I use 4 tbsp) of grass-fed butter. I use Unsalted Kerrygold which can be found basically anywhere now, which is fantastic.
- 2 tbsp (or more, again, if you just love saturated fat and understand that it isn’t bad for you) of coconut oil (MCT oil is fine, but coconut oil lasts FOREVER and seems to be much cheaper, and melts all the same when you pour coffee over it).
- 1 cup of coffee (which will just be poured over the above ingredients).
I don’t blend it. Blenders are big, and annoying, and loud, and you have to clean them, and their just blah.
I mix it inside of a Stanley Thermos. I add ingredients 1-4 into my thermos, while my coffee is brewing. Then, once the coffee is done, I simply pour the coffee over the fat, protein and cinnamon, until its about 1/2 inch from the top of the cup, then seal the lid, and shake!
- WARNING: When you first seal it and begin shaking, keep a finger on top of the lid, and only shake about 20-30 times. Then open the lid to release the pressure within. If you shake it like 1,000 times and then open it to take your first drink, it will explode violently (trust me) and you will take a fat bomb to the face.
- Do not fill it to the brim either. That’s just silly.
- Seal it, shake it 20-30 times, pop the lid and release the pressure, and then reseal and shake for about 30-45 additional seconds.
- Following the mixture of all components, prepare for the most wonderful, fatty, rich and chocolatey cup of coffee you have ever had. It tastes like french toast.